How To Make Boiled Yam And Egg Sauce – Agathas Cuisine
Boiled yam and egg sauce are some of the dishes eaten in Nigeria. Truth be told, most of my family members prefer to go for fried yam but I choose boiled because I prefer eating less oily dishes.
Boiled yam and egg sauce is very easy to make. Typically in Nigeria, we use tomatoes, scotch bonnet chilli and onions in making this sauce. Feel free to make this your own, Egg sauce can be eating with other substituents.
- A tuber of yam enough to make 8 slices
- 1 tsp salt add more if needed
- tsp sugar optional
Egg sauce ingredients
- 4-6 large eggs
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes chopped
- 1-2 scotch bonnet chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Seasoning cube
- 1/2 tsp curry
- 1/2 tsp thyme
How to cook yam
- Slice yam into about 1-inch size and peel the skin off.
- Rinse in clean water till water runs clear and no residue in water.
- Put yam in a pan, add enough water to cover it, add salt and place on medium heat and cook till soft. Test with a fork, if it goes through, then the yam should be soft enough. Drain water from yam and move on to making the egg sauce.
How to make egg sauce
- Break eggs into a shallow bowl, whisk till egg white and egg yolk are well combined, add salt and whisk to combine then set it aside
- Place a frying pan on a medium/low heat, add of vegetable oil, heat for about 2-3 minutes
- Add chopped peppers and onions (this should sizzle) and cook for about 4-5 minutes or till oil floats on the sauce, add salt, seasoning, curry and thyme. Stir to combine ingredient with sauce and also avoid sauce sticking to the pan
- Add whisked eggs to sauce and leave for about a minute before stirring. (this will allow the egg to set a bit) Stir to scramble egg. Serve egg sauce with boiled yam immediately