How To Make Nigerian Chicken Shawarma -Agathas Cuisine
This Chicken Shawarma recipe is going to knock your socks off! Just a handful of everyday spices makes an incredible Chicken Shawarma marinade that infuses the chicken with exotic Nigerian flavors. The smell, when this is cooking, it’s insane!
I always got mine at the eatery also wondered how I could re-make this tasty snack at home with basic spices readily available in most Nigerian kitchens.
All said, this is my Nigerian Chicken Shawarma Recipe. Enjoy!
This makes about 4 large Shawarma wraps
- 2 Chicken breasts(de-boned/boneless)
- 2 Chicken Thighs(a.k.a Chicken laps)(de-boned/boneless)
- 4 Shawarma bread(either pita bread/flour tortilla wraps)
- 1 small-sized Cabbage(cut into thin strips)
- 3 medium-sized carrots(grated or cut into thin strips)
- 1 large Cucumber(cut into thin strips&circles) or pickled cucumber
- 4 sausages (optional)
- 1 medium-sized onion (cut into thin strips)
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable /olive oil(for stir-frying)
For the marinade:
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 teaspoon curry(I used ducros brand)
- Minced garlic
- 1 large chicken stock cube/bouillon cube(crushed into powder)
- Half a teaspoon black pepper
- Chilli pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable /Olive oil
- Wash and cut the vegetables into a thin strip(if you haven’t done that yet) and set aside. Also Cut the chicken or beef into thin strips and set aside.
- Place the chicken strips into a bowl, add the marinade and mix thoroughly until well incorporated. Then cover and store in the fridge for 2 to 24 hours(depending all how much time you have).
- In a pan, heat up a tablespoonful of oil. Add the marinated chicken/beef & stir fry until juicy and brown. Then stir fry the sausages for some minutes. Scoop unto a plate and set aside.
- Mix some mayonnaise and ketchup together(”mayo-ketch” spread).
- Place a shawarma bread on a clean flat surface and cut into two equal sizes(that’s if you are using a large pita bread).
- Spread the ”mayo-ketch” on it and then fill it with the sliced vegetables on one end, then stir-fried chicken, one sausage and Sprinkle some chili pepper(optional);
- Then fold the bread, tuck in the edge, and roll to form shawarma wrap…yummyyyy!
Tip: if you want to warm it up a bit, place on a heated pan for 3 minutes(the closed edge facing the pan). If you have a microwave or sandwich maker, feel free to use those too.
And your Homemade Nigerian Chicken Shawarma is ready… Enjoy!
Enjoy, leave a comment & send me your pic..☺